Georgiana Elizabeth Munday was born on the 29th June 1789, daughter of the Dowager Lady Middleton and Edward Millar-Munday. She spent her early years at Shipley Hall in Derbyshire, meeting Henry Pelham Clinton, 4th Duke of Newcastle at one of the grand parties thrown by her father.
Georgiana and the 4th Duke married at Lambeth Palace on the 18th July 1807 and they moved into the Duke’s residence, Clumber House in Nottinghamshire. Set on a grand estate in Sherwood Forest, the house overlooked a large serpentine lake created by the 2nd Duke of Newcastle.
By 1820 the couple had 11 children but in 1822 Georgiana died in childbirth, giving birth to a stillborn girl and a son George who survived for just 13 days.
In 1823, the 4th Duke commissioned Robert Smirke, a celebrated architect, to design a Mausoleum at Milton. The building was consecrated in 1833 by the Archbishop of York and given the dedication of All Saints.
The Duke asked the sculptor, Richard Westmacott to create a marble memorial to Georgiana, which can still be seen in the Mausoleum.